Information for parents of disabled children

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Living for the day . . .

Cotton CloudsImage by Brian Hathcock via Flickr


Life isn't as it was. Mostly, I'm okay with that, but today I called home as I usually do. Daddy's gotten up in years, and he's changed, quite a lot. We all have. That made me think long and hard about where I've been and where I'm going. It made me think about how old I feel right now, and how old I might feel when I'm eighty.

Life is exhausting for some of us, and often we just wait for the day we can return to that simplicity of childhood, those days when mama and daddy fixed everything that was wrong. Everyone figures out eventually that those days aren't coming back, except that it's now our turn to fix everything and be the hero.

I'm okay with that, until I hit something I can't fix like seizures and migraines and autism. Then it sucks big time to be a grown-up. Then I want to go back to when my biggest worry was stepping on a snake or boys.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]