Information for parents of disabled children

Thursday, July 1, 2010

I'm thinking now.

The floor of the New York Stock Exchange.Image via Wikipedia
This has been a sore subject for me lately because special education is a discouraging business, and I don't know how much energy and time to put into it. It is what it is. It's local politics wrapped up in egos where, as in any business out there, some people love their job and the ones they serve and some just don't. It's a lot of work to come to the end and see only a lot of compromise.


That's what we have here; a lot of compromise. And a whole lot of excuses for poor education.

We don't have the money to do what we want. It's all about funding. Okay, then why didn't we do it when we had the money? It's not the job of public education. Okay, then who's job is it? I need to talk to that guy. Teachers don't have the training they need. Okay, how do we fix that? On and on it goes.

And that's the crux of my problem, this is too big for one person, and it's not a problem the majority of American's care about at all. We care about other things, and I understand this isn't the most pressing problem we face, but when does a Mom say "enough"?  When is it too much to deal with administrators who don't give a damn and school boards who want to forget your child exists? When are the rights of your child too costly to fight for anymore?  I'm thinking now. I'm thinking Monday.

There's only so much fight in anyone, and I'm reaching a limit. That impending school start date is looming ahead of me, and it's anyone's guess whether I'll be able to go another round this year.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment