Information for parents of disabled children

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Autism Training for Me!

Major brain structures implicated in autism.Image via Wikipedia

This week I completed some training from Indiana Resource Center for Autism with our school's autism team. Though I left with my head spinning after considering myself somewhat of a professional in the topic, I left armed with more information than I'd ever had.

Movement difference is a topic that really opened my eyes to not only my son's little habits, but the kids we work with in general. We call avoidance behavior so many things we don't understand that may well be movement difference. In other words, when a kid moves slow, it may mean they move slow, not that they don't want to move. The only way to find out is through thorough analysis of DATA.

We learned the steps to functional behavior analysis and so very many things. The most important for families and educators was this link. AIM can be used to train paraprofessionals, students, peer helpers, parents, anyone. Several books were cited and recommended by many experts. I really want to encourage parents to look into some of them.

Look Me In The Eye by John Elder
The Way I See It by Temple Grandin
Awakenings by Oliver Sacks

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]