Information for parents of disabled children

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Hair pulling moment

Sometimes I like to do a more personal post. Our family has struggled with behaviors in school for the whole school year thus far, and it finally culminated in a case conference. Personal note, I dread case conferences.


Conflict isn't an issue for me, but I get pretty wound up at injustices. One of my biggest frustrations is that I so often have to be the catalyst for change in my son's education. One would expect that to be the professionals in charge. Our boy needs a new program, and I'm usually the first one to say it. 

He needs data collection and new methods. He needs more one on one help to conquer out short term eruptions and move us past it. He needs focus. Unfortunately, it feels like so many experience the frustration of knowing individual plans, individual kids,  don't get individual focus.


Because I'm watching parents who are uninvolved and seeing their kids education continue in a rut, without results to back up the plan, I know it can happen. If parents don't become the catalyst, children slip through cracks in the system simply because it's policy not to rock the boat.


While self-advocacy is essential for families to learn, it's sad that they have to learn it. Isn't it? Shouldn't special education students have plenty of advocates to go round?


Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Yes, these students should have more advocates. I have been working with area families for 5 years privately now, after 13 years of classroom teaching. I would sit at the ARD as the teacher but be advocating for the family and child. I look forward to reading more of your blog. I am also working on one under All Kids Are Able.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. With your resume, I look forward to seeing your blog up and running. The internet is the best tool I think we have to efficiently share what we know as we know it. Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete