Information for parents of disabled children

Friday, May 28, 2010

All The Time In The World

Lonely Beach BallImage by JasonTromm via Flickr
Summer should be a fun break for everyone, right? Here it is nearly June. The kids are home, and I'm already tired. After three days of end-of-school meltdowns, I'm pooped emotionally.

The park was fun for the fifteen minutes we were there. The house looks more like a hurricane blew through than before. Hurricane Darrel is destructive. At least, a 4. The worst part is that I know he's losing time. I'm no professional. I mimic the professionals as much as I can, but I know the expertise I need is not at my fingertips. For three months, we're on our own.


Speech therapy is easy, at least I think it is. It's all the rest; challenging behaviors, sensory issues, and loss of all that precious knowledge we put in his head all year. That is the frustration I have as a parent when lawmakers and schools in one breath push professional intervention, and express in the next that the family has undefined and undetermined responsibilities to fix their kids. My favorite is the phrase used so often that "school isn't a cure".

Newsflash. For most of us, there is no improvement bordering on "cure". Nobody gets a cure with autism. Education is, however, the only viable treatment for autism we have which is available for most regardless of cost. It is our best bet for reducing the cost effect of so many disabled entering society at one time. It's the difference between a child completely dependent on one-on-one aids for personal care into adulthood and a child only partially dependent and able to perform basic self-care. School may not be a cure, but, when you have a child with autism, you sure miss it when it's gone.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment